The Lions' motto is "We Serve", and one way we do this is to support many different charities each year. Here are just some of them:
Each year the Club nominates one or two charities to be our principal charities. These receive the lions' share of our funds, in particular the collection from Santa's sleigh. Last year we had two principal charities:
The Epsom Medical Equipment Fund, which raises money for Epsom General Hospital. We donated £3000 to the Radiology Department to buy Dental equipment which will far more comfortable for patients than the old machine.
Pitstop Leatherhead. This well-deserving local drop-in centre provides a wide variety of support and assistance to homeless, vulnerable and socially isolated people in the area, but was severly affected by severe flooding over Christmas 2013. We provided £1000 to help get them back up and running.
Even more donations allowed us to give a further £3500 to Epsom Medical Equipment Fund in 2015 towards a "Bladder Scanner". This portable 3D ultrasound device, now in regular use in Epsom Hospital's Day Care Unit, allows clinicians to quickly and accurately measure a patient’s bladder volume aiding in the diagnosis and evaluation of common urological conditions. Most importantly, it can help prevent unnecessary catheterisation and so reduce rates of catheter-associated urinary tract infection. There was a special mention of the donation in EMEF's 2015 Christmas Card.
Our new Wenceslas Appeal exceeded all expectations and over the winter of 2014/2015 helped over 40 local people in dire fuel poverty.
We also make donations to many other charities, some of which are listed below:
- We are providing £250 to support the annual Christmas Lunch at Fetcham Village Hall on Christmas Day 2014. This event, run by the Pitstop Centre, allows those with nowhere to go or no-one to turn to celebrate Christmas with others. There's a good report about the 2013 lunch in the Dorking and Leatherhead Advertiser.
- We funded a defribullator to be made available in Fetcham town centre
- Special collections on the M25 services allowed us to provide over £2000 to the Philippines Typhoon relief fund
- We supported Riding for the Disabled, a UK charity with a number of local centres that use horses and ponies to provide therapy and enjoyment to people with disabilities.
- Asthma relief
- Belarus - towards transport costs of gifts given to Lions for Belarus
Lions International run worldwide charities which, by their scale, have real significance and, having no administrative costs, spend every penny on their targets.These include:
- Haiti and Indonesia Relief
- Lions Arboretum Project
- Lions Race for Life Charity sponsorship
- Lions Sightsavers
- Medic Alerter